Translate This Page

Saturday, January 29, 2011

Peace Basket

Peace Basket        40" x 10"       Eleagnus shoots, White Egret wing feather, dune grass       2007


Within the first couple years I moved to Surf City, NC I created "Peace Basket" to honor my new home by loosely weaving and adding a feather. I selected Oleaster Eleagnus x ebbingei shoots that I trimmed from hedges in the yard. I added a feather from White Egret. Both Eleagnus and the White Egret abound in this area. Having spent the last 35 years living in the Northeast they were each new to me as species growing abundantly in the bioregion I lived in. I tied the woven shoots together using grass growing on the dunes. I placed the feather with its tip down. I learned from my Native American teachers that when they wore there feathers pointing down it was a show of peace. I placed it on an axe (harsh) corner at the intersection of a hallway and the kitchen/living area. May peace be with us all. Aho.

No comments:

Post a Comment