Translate This Page

Tuesday, April 23, 2019




painting with reverse of moldy masonite of yesterday's post...
done with early 80s when I began to see the sadness and the lack of vitality with the land... here along the Shawangunks and Wallkill River with New Paltz NY trees were beginning to die off and bug infestations and acid rains were really taking hold, attacking diseased trees and bleaching and drying out the Spring colors... people remarked with my artwork "what a beautiful landscape", I shuddered and folks turned their heads like I wouldn't take a compliment, or they didn't know what the hills used to look like... graying/greying my palette with complimentary mixes are visible during these years... I was still using oil paints with their toxic ingredients and accessories, ie.,  synthetic pigments, resins and terpentines, masonite, bleached and chemically treated cotton ducks and papers...

the same is true now with my Charcoal, Stone & River Project with people saying "I love your photographs" and "oooh, it is so beautiful"...  are people blind or do they think a dying planet filled with pollutants is somehow "beautiful"?... I'm feeling responsible for not spelling this out more clearly, my actions contributing and paralleling our blindness, ignorance and separation from
our natural environment...

5 years later I stopped using oils and began working with beeswax and natural pigments...  after a couple fairly serious accidents doctors suggested to me to stop working with oil mediums, stop lifting and change my diet and lifestyle...
pollutants with the arts is now out of control with corporate sponsoring, and public accessory to our crimes against life with what used to be a more beautiful and cleaner space to live with...
are people awakening to the reality, or is it polarized selective internet illusions we see with insular perspectives?... 




Shawangunk Ridge
oil paints on papered masonite
painted @1980
New Paltz NY

release with Tillson NY


Love & Peace with CoCreativity

Elements are Life



No comments:

Post a Comment