Translate This Page

Tuesday, February 28, 2012

"spiral fan"

"spiral fan" began in late January with playing with conceptual designing. It started out of the processing with "life is good waiting for moss to grow".  In "spiral fan" and "life is good waiting for moss to grow"  I'm experimenting with yogurt/moss growing, incorporating it as an element in my art work. In "Spiral Fan" I've simplified the yogurt/moss formula to just yogurt and the moss with its' root/dirt and am using a different genus of moss without adding hemp seed powder and am using a smaller ratio of moss. This moss is a more lush variety growing in the cracks of the concrete steps leading down into my backyard.
  

The moss in "life is good waiting for moss to grow" has not taken, creating an interesting color/texture with moss form protruding out of the yogurt. A combination of bringing it inside w/out much light and not sufficient watering it lays either dead or dormant. It may not have particularly liked yogurt! 

In this work I didn't create a bedding. I simply drilled holes in the desk surface and applied the yogurt/moss. The roadside desk is foundational and the fan created from the dead/dried fan like fronds of the backyard Windmill Chosun Palm.
With my work I'm allowing my daily environment experiences to enter into the work in an expression through the process of our/my art making. It is myself in simbiosis with my environment; animal/plant, air, earth, fire & water, all the above and the below and the meeting of my own ego and survival driven energies balance with the interchange.

No comments:

Post a Comment