Translate This Page

Tuesday, September 23, 2014

I've been working on a mural for my son-in-law and daughter Dave and Carrie Patch Knudsen at their home in Valatie, NY. They grew up in the Hudson Valley and have been living around and hiking the Catskills most of their lives and asked me to paint a panoramic expression of them. 


photos show beginning lay out process for the mural, a 20" x 171" trapezoidal. the mural sets 
nicely on the surface of a ceiling recess. I'm using a traditional egg tempera medium and Earth ochre pigments. I'm working from photo shots Dave took, charcoal sketches I did of the Catskill Mountains from Olana, Google maps and my own experience of living with the Catskills for over 30 years. I'm taking the ridge lines of the range as a continuous horizontal structural and rhythmic mark...

taped/papered bordering


application of a Sienna colored underpainting


and basic color and form underpainting is laid...
























No comments:

Post a Comment