Translate This Page

Tuesday, November 22, 2011

handmade papers w/colors on Khadi paper

cotton fiber handmade paper w/turmeric & recycled dyes, turmeric pwd & carrot pulp on Khadi paper
12" x 17"
With these handmade papers I used two rectangular screens to pick up the slurry (fiber pulp) from the water vats. I turned the screens perpendicularly crossed, with one on top of the other forming a square. The framing of the screens created a "winged" effect. This suggests adjacent squares or a grid pattern. The varying colors of the handmade paper squares were created by using turmeric and recycled dyes. I used turmeric & carrot pulp brushed, dripped, splattered and by drawing with my fingers while wet onto the Khadi paper. I placed the handmades into the wet vegetable strokes with wheat paste painted with supporting marks on their backsides. Subtle dimensions are created by varying the strokes, layering of paper and the papers' and the pulp textures.

No comments:

Post a Comment